Saturday, November 25, 2006

Astros, College Football, and Daughters Boyfriend

Carlos Lee and Woody Williams? Are you freaking kidding me? The Astros actually landed some good free agents? Of course they did!!! I hate when I hear people say that Drayton McLane does not spend the money to make this team competitive. When he first bought the team, he signed Drabek and Swindell. They were pitchers who were at the top of the free agency list back then. Then he gets players like Randy Johnson, Carlos Beltran, Moises Alou, Andy Petitte, and Roger Clemens throughout the years. Do they try to resign the players? Yes they do. Some resign, and some take the money and run. It just doesn't work out sometimes. Baseball is a business. But, of all things, DO NOT say that the Astros owner is not committed to winning. Woody Williams has been an Astro killer for years. I am glad to see him on the team. He has some age to him, but I think he will do well mentoring some of the young pitchers that are coming up for the team. So now, The rotation looks like this... Oswalt, Williams, ...uh, uh, oookay, not sure after that. Hopefully the new pitching coach can make some changes with the young guys. Carlos Lee is a welcome addition to this team. Now there are two legitimate power threats in the middle of the line up. IF Ensberg comes back and plays the way he did in 05 and if Luke Scott plays the way he did, this team should improve on the offensive side. Lee could provide another 40 homers and 110 RBI's to this team. Good moves Astros. I honestly didn't think they would sign with the team. Not because of your lack of trying, but because of teams like the Yankees, Mets, and even Orioles throwing out bigger money. Good job, Tim Purpura, for making these moves and getting out of the shadows of the last GM. Let's get another pitcher and maybe make a move or two more and make this team a stronger contender!!!

How about those Aggies taking care of the Longhorns? I have to be honest, i did not watch the game, because i was doing family things. The first thing i did when i walked in the house was turn ESPN on and look for the score. Aggie 12 Longhorns 7. WHAT? It must be the 3rd or fourth quarter. I looked.... final. WOW!!! The rise and fall of two texas college powers. I hate to see the Longhorns fall, but it is good to see the Aggies winning.

Does everyone really want to see a Ohio State and Michigan rematch? I am not sure that would be a good thing for college football. I was all for it till i heard on one of the sports talk shows (I think Jim Rome) talk about it being fair to Ohio State. They beat Michigan. Why should they go in and have to repeat a victory to become national champions? They beat Michigan. It should be, who is next? USC? or who ever is number 3 or whoever is next AFTER Ohio who isn't Michigan. Michigan had their chance. They blew it. I want to see a new team play for it now. If it was two out of three then it would be different. But it is not. It is one game. one game to decide who the champion is. Michigan, I now believe, should not be involved.

Ok, I am sure every parent out there can relate to this. I met my daughters boyfriend for the first time last night. Now, as a parent, we all want the best for our kids. I have always taught my kids that I don't care who they are with as long as they treat them right. I now know i have some prejudices in me. Not with color of skin, religion, or anything like that, but with stupidity. My daughter is a very intellegent, strong minded little woman. I never thought that should would fall for some boy like this. Now, looks are not everything. this kid was dressed with baggy clothes, but nice to what is in today, i guess. When he introduced himself, i didn't know if this kid was just, not playing with a full deck, or high. He was like my name is (Last name, first name and then lastname again) I was like okay, nice to meet you. So we are asking him the usual parent questions, like school, and stuff, and he must have forgot he wasn't talking to his friends. Now, i remember back in the day watching the old Leave it to Beaver re-runs and remembering Eddie Haskell talking to June and Ward with respect and stuff and them going back upstairs and talking to his buds differently. Who has not done that? I am not saying kiss butt or anything, but you talk to "grown ups" (especially your girlfriends parents) different than you do your friends. So i asked the kid, what grade are you in. He said i WAS in 10th. (My daughter is a freshman) I told him WAS? he said yeah, i don't go to school anymore. After the questions to why and all that, my wife asked him so what do you do now? In my mind, i am like "are you slinging drugs?" but, i remain cool. He said this... almost verbatim..."I just chill, but i ain't trippin', cuz i am gonna go work with my dad when i turn 18. i am gonna go get my GED and stuff." I wanted to strangle the kid!!! So i asked, oh yeah, what does your dad do? "i don't know, (Pause) he paints and stuff like that. but i ain't tripping." Now, I think it is a good trade being a painter and remodeling and stuff, but do you have to be 18 to do this? This kid, boy, is 16. No ambition, can barely talk right, and is with my daughter!! AHHGGG!!!! i am not that old to know the slang of the kids now days. I am only 32. My daughter (step-daughter) is 15. So, here is my delemna. i could be that parent who forbids her to see him and then she stays with him to be rebelious to me and her mom, or I can PRETEND to like him and maybe she will dump him. This is very new to me!!! I am like most parents who think that no one is good enough for their kid, but my daughter scraped this guy out the bottom of the barrel. I need lots of luck on this!!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger